My Labor Experience

There was never a dull moment in my pregnancy and then in my labor!

We set our alarm for 7 am on Tuesday morning March 27, 2018. This was my due date. My Cesarean was scheduled at 1pm with a surgeon that was going to try to remove my fibroid during the Cesarean. Our plan was to arrive at the hospital for 10 am.

I woke up to my alarm at 7 am and got up to pee. After going to the bathroom I walked back into the bedroom to lay down for a few minutes. As soon as I got into the bedroom I felt leaking. I grabbed a few tissues to wipe up but it didn’t seem to help much. I walked back into the bathroom and my water broke all over the floor. I sat down on the toilet and continued to leak. I called for my boyfriend and he came in and I told him my water broke. He helped me clean up.

At that point I felt fine. I wasn’t having contractions so I decided to shower with the special soap that my midwife gave me to cleanse with before my surgery. After I got out and got ready for the day I called the hospital and told them my water broke. The on-call nurse said to eat breakfast and take my time. I knew from her response that I wasn’t going to listen to her. You can’t eat breakfast before a Cesarean! I then called my midwife directly and she said to come in and go straight to the emergency the room. My boyfriend then showered and we packed our last minute things. He went down to start the car and put the bags in the car and when he came back up I was back on the toilet hunched over in pain. It all happened so fast. I could barely stand. I told him we need to go to the hospital now! Which ironically enough was only 10 minutes before we were planning to leave for my scheduled Cesarean anyways. He had to practically carry me down the stairs and lift me into the car. I sat on a towel because I was still leaking.

The hospital was an hour and 15 minutes away with no traffic and this was during rush hour. I sat in the front for the first 20 minutes of the trip but the pain got so bad we had to pull over and he had to lift me into the back seat so that I had more room. My contractions got unbearable and I didn’t think I would make it. I was sitting behind my boyfriend screaming in his ear, squeezing his shoulder, and trying to hold his hand. This was difficult for him because he was driving my manual transmission Jeep Wrangler. The drive took an hour and 40 minutes.

When we got to the hospital everyone was expecting us and someone came out with a wheel chair. I was so uncomfortable I could barely sit in the chair. We left our wallets, bags, and my phone in the car and gave someone our keys. They rushed me to labor and delivery to prep me for surgery. When I got there they took off my clothes and got me into a gown. They shoved paperwork at me to sign. I was in so much pain I barely knew what was happening. I felt 2 people check me for dilation and I heard them say I was fully dilated. I went from 1cm to fully dilated in the car ride on the way to the hospital. If this baby wasn’t breech I would have delivered in the car.

I saw my boyfriend go change into scrubs. They tried to get an IV in me in three different spots and were unsuccessful due to me convulsing. They wheeled me to the OR. I was still convulsing and they were unable to get the spinal in. They tried warming me with blankets and nothing was calming me down. The anesthesiologist didn’t want to but had to give me morphine to calm me down so they could put in my IVs and spinal. The surgeon told my boyfriend that he doesn’t usually like to give morphine because some mothers don’t remember their Cesarean, but he had no choice.

A few minutes later I was asked if I wanted to deliver vaginally. I was so shocked at the question and so drugged up at that point that I wasn’t sure I even heard them correctly. This entire pregnancy a Cesarean was discussed due to my baby being large, breech, and because of my fibroids. My boyfriend came over to make sure I understood the question. I said I wanted a Cesarean. Before this moment all I ever wanted was a natural, drug free vaginal birth but at this point I was already drugged up and in the OR for a Cesarean. It was just too much to comprehend.

When the baby was coming out they pulled down the sheet and held up my head so I could watch him being delivered. When the doctor saw how big he was she said that I made a good choice to deliver vis Cesarean rather then breech vaginally. Immediately after his delivery my midwife put him skin to skin on my chest and helped him try to breastfeed. It was the most amazing, memorable experience. I can’t even put to words what it’s like to hold your baby for the first time. We are so much in love.

At the end of my surgery the original surgeon that was going to try to remove my fibroid during the scheduled Cesarean came in to look at my fibroid. He was the only surgeon in the hospital willing to try to remove the large fibroid. So when we ended up emergency Cesarean there was no chance of getting the fibroid removed. The surgeon came in to look at it and said that the base was too large and vascular to be removed at this time. I had already lost a good amount of blood during the surgery and it was too risky. So even if I made it to my scheduled Cesarean, he wouldn’t have removed it. He wants me to return in 3 months to get all of them removed.

Baby boy was very punctual. I was hospitalized at 28 weeks because they thought I would deliver then and baby boy came right on time on his due date a couple hours before my scheduled Cesarean.

We arrived at the hospital at 10:00 am and baby boy was delivered at 10:47 am. He was 9 pounds 14 ounces and 21 inches long.

4 thoughts on “My Labor Experience

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s