I’ve always said if I had kids I would want more then one.
I never expected that I would have such a difficult pregnancy, no one can prepare for that. So of course being on hospital bed rest from week 28-34 then home bed rest until delivery makes you wonder what it would be like to go through another pregnancy.
I have asked several of the MFM doctors, nurses, and midwives their opinions about me conceiving another baby after this pregnancy and their answers were all pretty much the same.
1. I would definitely need to get all my fibroids removed. They seem to be causing my very irritable uterus.
2. I would be high risk again and be closely monitored.
3. Weekly progesterone shots.
4. It is not recommended to give birth for 2 years, so waiting to try to conceive for at least a year post fibroid removal.
5. I would have to get a cervical cerclage* early on in the pregnancy then get it removed when I’m close to full term.
* Cervical cerclage, also known as a cervical stitch, is a treatment for cervical incompetence or insufficiency, when the cervix starts to shorten and open too early during a pregnancy causing either a late miscarriage or preterm birth.
I don’t know much about a cervical cerclage but I read some people need to be on bed rest from the time the stitch is placed until they deliver, and some people are on it for about a month after it’s placed. I also red that you would be on pelvic rest the entire pregnancy, which sounds terrible to me! I have been on pelvic rest since 28 weeks and it’s been tough! This second pregnancy honestly doesn’t sound great either.
I would also like to experience a natural vaginal birth since this time will be a Cesarean. I think a water birth would be amazing, but I was told that was out of the question. So my hope is a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean).
I would definitely love this child to have a sibling so that he isn’t an only child but we will have to see how this goes first!